This is a very quick post in response to requests on twitter for for my apparently “famous” lemon cake recipe !
I found this recipe several years in one of those little books that sometimes come free with the Good Food magazine and it’s become a firm favourite!
The original recipe used an ‘all in one’ method which I found didn’t work for me so I reverted to the old fashioned creaming of the butter and sugar first (in my trusty Kenwood of course………..)
It’s a quick and easy cake to make and it freezes well – always good to have one on standby. We like to serve it with morning coffee or afternoon tea and it always goes down with our clients. I hope you like it!
Hey Pesto! Lemon Cake
|No Servings: 15 mini squares|
|Oven: 180 C/Fan 160/Gas 4|
What you need:
- 100g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 75 ml milk
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
What to do:
- Cream the butter and sugar together using K beater in Kenwood (or by hand if you’re feeling energetic!)
- Add in the eggs and the milk to give nice light batter
- Then fold in flour, baking powder and lemon zest.
- Pour mix into a lined baking tin (approx… 20cm * 30cm) and bake in preheated oven for 30 mins – you want it golden-y colour and firm to touch.
- Make the icing by heating together the sugar and the lemon juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the icing over the cake and leave to cool.
- Once cooled cut into squares , dust with icing sugar and serve on a pretty plate!
PS I have made a gluten free version using Dove’s Farm GF flour and a teaspoon of Xanthan Gum – it works!
PS2 apologies for lack of photos of finished cake but I did say this was a quick post!
9 thoughts on “Afternoon Tea Treat…..Lemon Cake”
This sounds like a great cake. I love those little pull-out booklets, as they are full of great recipes. As for your cake-stand, I love it 🙂
Thanks Colette! Cake stand came from my Mum – think she won it playing golf!
two of my best and most reliable recipes have come from those little books, love them! But no cake Yvonne? You will have to put up a pic soon or else you are not allowed to complain when a cook book does not have a picture for every recipe. For shame!!!
I know I know – but it was in response to an emergency request for a lemon cake recipe!!! Please forgive me?
Pics of some finished cakes here : http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150507938187989.372333.147503907988&type=1
I will give it a try tomorrow, just in time cause I was looking for the perfect lemon drizzle cake 🙂
I hope you like it 🙂
I made it 4 times since then, everybody loves it, thanks ❤ xo