Sometimes you just need time out and this weekend was one of those times. I love being busy – both workwise and socially but things have been pretty hectic for the last two months.
I had an early night on Friday and spent a very pleasant few hours Saturday morning reading Mary Berry’s autobiography before tackling some long overdue housekeeping. The pantry had taken on a life of its own and needed to be brought back under control. Now everything is neatly grouped and visible ……for a while anyway. The tupperware is organised and the kitchen presses are organised.
Now if only I could persuade someone to do the ironing 😉
After all that hard work I had to recover on the couch with some TV and cookbooks. My book of choicewas a lovely one I brought back from Canada, ‘The Ontario Table’ and one of the recipes that I wanted to try was for Corn Fritters
By coincidence when I was flicking through the channels I came across The Two Fat Ladies cooking corn fritters. A sign definitely …
So combining the two recipes I made the following for Sunday Brunch:
Corn Fritters (or are they pancakes?)
What you need:
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Irish Atlantic Chilli & Paprika salt
- 2 eggs
- 180ml milk
- fresh corn kernels from 2 cobs of corn
- Bunch spring onions chopped
What you do:
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a jug.
- Make a hollow in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in egg mix
- Fold in to make a creamy batter then add in the corn and the spring onions.
- Drop 2-3 tbsp. onto griddle pan, allow to ‘bubble’, then turn over to cook other side.
I served the fritters with crispy Pigs on the Green bacon and my latest food addiction – Golden Beetroot Relish from In Season Farm which I found in the lovely Hereford & More shop
Technically fritters should be fried in oil but I opted for the griddle method of cooking which makes them more of a savoury pancake and therefore an option for Shrove Tuesday don’t you think?
Happy Cooking !
And even though I may have gotten a little bored last night (as predicted by the CT!), my batteries are now fully recharged and ready for the week ahead 🙂