Many Christmases ago a friend gave me a Rose Elliot vegetarian cookbook. It was in constant use for a few years with a mixed score of successes and failures. Some recipes like her vegetarian style chilli are still firm favourites. Others such as Hot Stuffed Avocados have been long sentenced to the ‘never to be attempted again pile’ 😉
A few years ago I was watching ‘Come Dine with Me’ (don’t judge me!) and was very taken by a vegetarian paté cooked by one of the contestants. On further research I discovered it was a Rose Elliot recipe which has made it the favourites pile and has been devoured by vegetarians and carnivores alike ! The original name of ‘lentil paté’ tends make people think of dark brown, unappetising sludge so I simplified it!
Why not try it the next time you’re entertaining?
Spiced Vegetarian Paté
Oven: 200 C /Gas 6
What you need:
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander, freshly ground
- 700 ml pints of vegetable stock
- 180g red lentils
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk (coconut milk is even nicer)
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
What you do:
- Heat oil in a large shallow pan and sauté the onion for a few minutes before adding the garlic and the spices.
- Then stir in the lentils and add the stock. Leave to simmer until the lentils are soft. This should take about 20 mins but just keep an eye on it and add more stock if the mix starts to go too dry.
- Once the lentils are cooked , drain off any excess liquid and put mixture into your food processor.
- Add in the egg, milk, chutney, coriander and blend until smooth.
- Grease and line a 1 lb loaf tin. Pour in the lentil mix, cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes until firm.
- Let the paté cool in the tin for about 30 minutes before turning it out.
- Chill the paté ‘loaf ‘ and cut into slices to serve.
This is perfect served with mango chutney, mint raita and mini pitta breads as a starter or lunch dish.
If you’d like to learn more ‘meat free’ recipes then why not come along to my next Vegetarian Cookery Class on Monday 12th October
If you’d like to come along to one of my cookery classes then please click here for details.
If you ‘d like details of our catering options then please click here or contact me directly on 087 2488124