I know, I know – it’s been a while since my last blog but now that the weather has changed I’m likely to spend more time indoors and I promise to try and be a better blogger ….
Sometimes you just need comfort food and last night was one of those nights. There were chicken fillets in the fridge,some random vegetables left in the basket and there’s always coconut milk and curry paste in the pantry so it had to be Thai curry for dinner, the perfect dish for these Autumn evenings.
I promise it will be ready in 30 minutes – quicker than waiting for a takeaway to arrive so why not give it a try.
Ok so I cheat a little and use a ready made curry paste but sometimes we all need shortcuts!
This recipe was given to me by an Australian Chef I met working in Cavan back when I started in the catering world. It is now a firm favourite in our family and has been shared far and wide so thanks Greg wherever you are!
Greg’s Thai Green Curry
What you need:
- 1 onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped in chunks
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. green curry paste
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 100g green beans approx.
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- Zest & juice of 1 lime
- 3 tsp. brown sugar
What you do:
- In a medium sized saucepan, fry the onion and the pepper over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste and fry for approx. 1 min
- Pour in coconut milk, then half fill tin with water and add this in.
- Allow to simmer for 2 mins
- Add chicken and green beans.
- Leave to simmer for 20 mins or until chicken is cooked
- Then add fish sauce, lime zest & juice and sugar.
- Serve with fluffy basmati or jasmine rice.
I use Mae Ploy curry paste which is widely available and I keep a bag of green beans in the freezer just for this. You can adjust the ‘heat’ of this curry by using more , or less, of the curry paste according to your taste buds. I’m a chilli fiend so I often add in an extra fresh chilli at the onions and peppers stage.
The perfect accompaniment is Artisan Chutney Sweet Chilli Sauce (just don’t tell Audrea I use ready made paste!!)
The Chief Taster isn’t a big curry fan so the next dish will have to be his choice 😉
If you’d like to come along to one of my cookery classes then please click here for details.
If you ‘d like details of our catering options then please click here or contact me directly on 087 2488124