We’re all in need of a little spoiling at the moment so for Valentine’s Day why not make an extra special breakfast treat for someone, or indeed for yourself ❤
You might have heard me talking about romantic cooking with Will Faulkner on Midlands 103 during the week. Well as promised, here’s how you can make a delicious romantic breakfast of heart shaped French toast stuffed with chocolate sauce …..
To make things easier on yourself I recommend that you make the chocolate spread in advance. Trust me, it’s much better than any well known brand 😉
What you need:
- 125g cream
- 35g sugar
- 75g dark chocolate, chopped or in callets
- 100g bar hazelnut chocolate, chopped
What you do:
- To make the spread, heat the cream and the sugar together in a small saucepan. Careful, don’t allow it to boil.
- Place both chocolates in a bowl and pour the warm cream over it.
- Whisk until you have a smooth chocolately mix. Allow to cool.
Once your chocolate spread has cooled you’re ready to make the french toast and assemble your dish. You will need:
- 4 slices bread – preferably brioche
- 1 egg
- 75 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 25 g butter
- Icing sugar
- Toasted hazelnuts and raspberries to serve
What you do:
- Whisk the egg, milk, vanilla and sugar together in a wide bowl.
- Using a heart shaped cutter , cut out the centre of each slice of bread.
Spread chocolate on two of the slices and then top each with the other pieces ie you will have two sandwiches!
- Press the edges together to prevent the spread leaking out
- Dip each of the sandwiches into the egg mixture and allow to sit for a minute on each side to soak up mix.
- Heat the butter in large frying pan, add the sandwiches and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer to your serving plate (s), add raspberries and chopped hazelnuts and sprinkle with icing sugar .
Your romantic breakfast is now ready to present to the object of your affections….. Enjoy 😘
Happy Romantic Cooking!
If you’d like to join the weekly Hey Pesto! cookalong or attend one of my online cookery classes then please click here for details.
Special thanks to Jeff Harvey for the great food photography📷