Thursday is normally dinner night here – it’s when I try out new dishes and we sit down to taste them with a glass (or two!) of wine. Due to various work commitments this changed to Tuesday this week and I was all set to try out a cornbread recipe and a few new starter ideas ….until the phone rang at 5pm asking me to cater a breakfast meeting at 7.30 the following morning.
Thankfully the main course of ‘Rioja-braised lamb shanks with chorizo & garlic’ from Lorraine Pascale’s book ‘Home Cooking Made Easy‘ was underway so I could devote myself to baking scones, muffins etc.
But then I realised we needed a starter so it was time for the store cupboard (my new fridge!) and some inspiration ……..and that classic combination of beetroot & goat’s cheese! I had a packet of pre-made pastry cases that I wanted to try so it was tartlets for starters and they worked out well! They’re quick and simple so give them a go….
For 2 you need :
- 2 pastry cases (I got mine in Marks & Spencers)
- 2-3 cooked baby beetroot
- 1 egg
- approx 100ml Glenisk Cream
- 30g St Tola Goat’s Cheese
What I did:
- Cut beetroot into chunks and placed in pastry case
- Whisk cream and egg together and pour over the beetroot (you probably won’t need all the mix)
- ‘Dot’ the tartlet with cheese
- Bake at 180C/Gas 4 for 10 -12 mins until firm and golden