What an amazing summer we’ve had – who knew outdoor living in Ireland could be so much fun! My barbeque was in constant use and I finally got to use all my garden furniture.
One of the bonuses of the sunshine is that my apple tree is laden down with fruit. Last time the harvest was this bountiful the Chief Taster and I carefully picked the fruit, wrapped them individually in paper and stored them in crates. This project did not have a successful outcome….. So I’m looking for ideas to use them up before the birds eat them. All suggestions welcome.
One thing I’m going to do is stew and freeze a batch of them so I can make one of my favourite cakes over the coming months. It’s a Sophie Grigson recipe that can be adapted for almost all fruit and it’s so simple you have to try it .
Stewing your fruit – I tend to use a mix of sweet and cooking apples as I like the difference in texture. Peel, core and chop the fruit. Then stew with a little water over a low heat for 20-30 mins. I don’t use any particular quantities as I freeze the rest of the fruit in 300ml portions for future cakes
Apple Sauce Cake
What you need:
- 280g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g demerara sugar
- 110g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml stewed apples
- Mix all your dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and sugars together
- Fold in the lightly beaten eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Finally stir in the stewed apples.
- Pour mixture into a lined 23cm springform tin and sprinkle a little extra demerara sugar over the top.
- Sophie’s recipes are to bake the cake at 180C/Gas 4 for 45 minutes. Having tried it on several occasions it takes 30-35 minutes in my oven at 170C Fan so I’d advise you to check it after 30 mins!
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before turning out. Then there’s nothing left to do but serve it with some lightly whipped cream!
All good things must come to an end and even though we’re enjoying an Indian Summer, Autumn is in the air. If you’re looking for something to brighten up your Autumn evenings why not check out my Autumn Cookery Classes – I can’t guarantee sunshine but I can promise good food and laughs ……..
If you’d like to come along to one of my cookery classes or book me for a demo then please click here for details.
If you‘d like details of our catering options then please click here or contact me directly on 087 2488124